DEQ Main Menu
Utah Division of Environmental Response
Underground Storage Tank Branch
The Utah State Underground Storage Tank program is a regulatory branch of the Department of Environmental Quality. Its primary goal is to protect human health and the environment from leaking underground storage tanks (USTs). The UST staff oversees UST notification, installation, inspection, removal, and compliance with State and Federal UST regulations concerning release prevention and remediation. Get more details.
WINTER CAN IMPACT YOUR USTs
Winter weather can impact UST equipment. Equipment that may not be in good condition may create problems.
- Electrical wire connectors for sump sensors, probes and electric leak detectors, that are not sealed properly, may accumulate moisture or water and can freeze. Frozen wire connectors that are not properly sealed can fail and reduce profits.
- Metal inner riser caps are made from pot metal and corrode against a steel riser, allowing water to enter a UST. Inspect your inner riser caps and physically grasp the inner cap, whether pot metal, steel or plastic and ensure the cap is water tight.
- Probe wires entering an inner riser cap should be water tight.
- Continuous freeze and thaw of water may impact containment sumps, sensors and the product piping. If the latter is double wall piping, water may enter the piping interstice and freeze creating stress on the piping.
- Ensure all removable inner caps for fuel delivery risers and Stage One Vapor Recovery risers, are secure, not broken and have a water tight gasket.
- Ensure that your fuel filters are ethanol compatible to reduce water being pumped into a customer’s vehicle.
Repairs to UST systems made before winter take less time and are easier to complete which can relate to less money spent.
- Certification Study Guides and Reference Material
- Certified UST Contractors
- Contractor Certification Program
- Contacts for UST Questions
- Newsletter: Utah Tank News
- One Time Drop of Fuel for Tank and Line Testing
- Tank Fees Summary
- Useful UST Forms
- UST/LUST Lists
- UST Issues E-mail Alerts Sign Up
- UST Owner/Operator Training and Registration Program
- More ...
- Accessing the Petroleum Storage Tank (PST) Fund
- Remediation and Abatement
- Reporting a Release From Underground Storage Tanks (Spills)
- Online Form for Reporting Spills
- More ...
No Certificate of Compliance
Facilities that do not have an active Certificate of Compliance and are ineligible to receive deliveries of fuel. Updated daily.
PST Fund Financial Viability Study
A financial viability study of the Petroleum Storage Tank Trust Fund.
- Petroleum Storage Tank Loan Progam
Funds are available for loans to eligible owners and operators for upgrading, replacing, or closing USTs.
Red Tag Program
Starting in 2013 large red "delivery prohibition" tags will be placed on tanks that are not eligible to receive fuel deliveries
Summary Information on USTs
Utah's summary information; required by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 Grant Guidelines. Updated November 16, 2016.
UST Certification Program Online Applications and Payments
Submit applications and payments online for Sampler, Consultant, Installer, Remover, and Tester Certification and A/B Operator Registration.
UST Compliance Report
Utah's government owned; required by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 Grant Guidelines.
UST Issues E-mail Alerts Sign Up
Be personally notified when important issues arise concerning Underground Storage Tank owners, operators, and contractors.
UST Priority Assessment Tool
Currently sites with the highest priority assessment are inspected more frequently. See how upgrades to your facility will effect its assessment.
Utah Tank News