DEQ Main Menu
Utah Division of Environmental Response
Underground Storage Tank Branch
The Utah State Underground Storage Tank program is a regulatory branch of the Department of Environmental Quality. Its primary goal is to protect human health and the environment from leaking underground storage tanks (USTs). The UST staff oversees UST notification, installation, inspection, removal, and compliance with State and Federal UST regulations concerning release prevention and remediation. Get more details.
Steel tanks, piping and piping flex connectors all need to be protected from corrosion. One method to protect steel in the ground is an impressed current cathodic protection (ICCP) system. Many ICCP systems in Utah were installed more than 20 years ago. An ICCP system uses a rectifier and anodes buried near the steel part of the tank system to prevent the tank system from corroding. Recently, the DERR has been notified that some of these ICCP systems have stopped working or are not providing enough protection for the tank system. In most cases, the 20 plus year old anodes were failing.
The DERR recommends when tank owners perform their monthly B operator inspection, that they carefully ensure:
- The rectifier is still working,
- The readings for current (amps) or voltage have not changed. Small changes to the amps or volts are generally acceptable but larger changes may indicate a problem.
If you notice a problem, contact your cathodic protection tester. A steel tank without proper corrosion protection can lead to a petroleum release.
- Certification Study Guides and Reference Material
- Certified UST Contractors
- Contractor Certification Program
- Contacts for UST Questions
- Newsletter: Utah Tank News
- One Time Drop of Fuel for Tank and Line Testing
- Tank Fees Summary
- Useful UST Forms
- UST/LUST Lists
- UST Issues E-mail Alerts Sign Up
- UST Owner/Operator Training and Registration Program
- More ...
- Accessing the Petroleum Storage Tank (PST) Fund
- Remediation and Abatement
- Reporting a Release From Underground Storage Tanks (Spills)
- Online Form for Reporting Spills
- More ...
No Certificate of Compliance
Facilities that do not have an active Certificate of Compliance and are ineligible to receive deliveries of fuel. Updated daily.
PST Fund Financial Viability Study
A financial viability study of the Petroleum Storage Tank Trust Fund.
- Petroleum Storage Tank Loan Progam
Funds are available for loans to eligible owners and operators for upgrading, replacing, or closing USTs.
Red Tag Program
Starting in 2013 large red "delivery prohibition" tags will be placed on tanks that are not eligible to receive fuel deliveries
Summary Information on USTs
Utah's summary information; required by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 Grant Guidelines. Updated November 3, 2015.
UST Certification Program Online Applications and Payments
Submit applications and payments online for Sampler, Consultant, Installer, Remover, and Tester Certification and A/B Operator Registration.
UST Compliance Report
Utah's government owned; required by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 Grant Guidelines.
UST Issues E-mail Alerts Sign Up
Be personally notified when important issues arise concerning Underground Storage Tank owners, operators, and contractors.
UST Priority Assessment Tool
Currently sites with the highest priority assessment are inspected more frequently. See how upgrades to your facility will effect its assessment.
Utah Tank News